Wednesday 4 August 2010

An unsuprising confession and a call for help.

No discipline is enjoyable while it is happening - it's painful! But afterward there will be a peaceful harvest of right living for those who are trained in this way.
(Hebrews 12:11, New Living Translation, for anyone who's interested.)

I read this while drinking my coffee this morning. I was going to tell you how bad I am at mornings, but that's not entirely true. Or positive, and I want to be positive about this.

What I am bad at is self discipline. I got up earlier this morning, but only with the coaching of Patience. He called out to me while he was just finishing his shower, so I could stumble from bed to the still-running warm water as he got out of the shower. I think I did it with my eyes mostly closed this morning, which I regret now!

Hauling myself out of bed is something I really struggle with. But the alternative is worse. I hate that feeling of regret, of having lost time I can't get back, of spending the morning (or whole day) feeling like I'm playing catch-up.

And you know what? I really like mornings. I love that time when you can feel the potential of the day, when the air seems fresher, when it's a bit quieter, and the sky is beautiful. I can take the time to sit and get my attitude and priorities right, rather than feeling ambushed by the day.

So, there you have it. One of the biggest (and certainly my most influential) challenges of my obviously not actually very hard life. I felt somewhat sheepish reading the bible this morning, when it talked about hardship and discipline. I'm pretty sure having to get up in the morning doesn't qualify as hardship.

So - To learn, you must love discipline; it is stupid to hate correction. (Proverbs 12:1)

Tell me - How do you get up in the mornings? What makes it easier? And what do you like about mornings? Help me help myself here!


(sorry about no pics, I'm on the iPad. Come ON blogger!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!